1) make sure you travel in groups. that's right, we're advocating that you trick or treat with a giant group of friends (even if mom says its too many people to cook dinner for :) ) it's always safer to be surrounded by a big group. this way, in case you get confused or lost, you have many helping hands around!
2) stay in a neighborhood you know. don't go trick or treating in another neighborhood just because you think they'll have better candy than yours. stay where you know, or at least visit a neighborhood of a friend, so that they'll know their way around. the last thing you want is to get lost and miss out on valuable candy gathering time!
3) if you get a weird feeling about the candy someone's handing out, don't take it. you always get lots of candy on Halloween, so it's ok to be picky :)
4) carry a flashlight! it's dark at night! make sure you can see where you're going.
5)Walk, don't run.
6) Stay on Sidewalks
7) Don't cut across yards or driveways.
8) Wear a watch you can read in the dark.
9) (If no sidewalk) walk on the left side of the road facing traffic
10) Approach only houses that are lit.
For more tips on Halloween safety, visit http://www.halloween-safety.com/